From the beginning, our hope here at TriWalloon has been to provide a premier Northern Michigan race that appeals to beginner and elite athletes alike. Regardless of a person’s experience or ability, our hope is that TriWalloon will be a fantastic experience for all.
In 2021 we have the additional challenge of executing our events in the midst of a global pandemic. Our highest priority for this year’s race will be to provide a race environment that has the highest level of safety for athletes and volunteers alike. Toward that end, we will be working hard to make sure our event adheres to all current COVID-19 Executive Orders and CDC safety guidelines. Athletes participating in 2021 should expect a number of modifications that will help us achieve this, while still providing top-quality local race. Please come to this year’s race with a good attitude, and an extra measure of patience, and lot’s of grace for other participants. Some of the potential modifications may include:
- Extended, no-contact packet pickup.
- No race-day packet pickup. All packet pickup to happen on the Friday before the race.
- Event size limited to 250 under Phase 5 of Michigan’s reopening plan.
- Controlled, staged entrance into the transition area. We will allow 50 athletes in at one time, with a 15-minute time limit for transition setup.
- No pre-assigned bike rack positions. Athletes will be directed to rack positions upon transition entrance to help maintain the required 6′ distancing requirements. If you have done our race before, you know that there are no bad racking positions with our custom made bike racks! Proposed transition staging times by bib number will be published before race day.
- Masks and/or face shields required in transition area and encouraged whenever not racing. Shields and face masks will be provided.
- No body markings.
- No pre-race meeting. The meeting will be pre-recorded and sent to all athletes.
- Small, staged swim start times.
- Self-serve, no-contact aid stations.
- Limited spectators.
- Limited post-race food offerings.
- Modified post-race ceremony.
TriWalloon has the best participants with the greatest attitudes, and we are excited to be able to gather together again, and also anticipate that participants will be understanding and accommodating to these modifications that are necessary to protect public health, while still being able to race.
Please feel free to reach out with any questions, comments, or suggestions.